Easy Ham and Apple Skillet Frittata
Frittatas are one of my favorite whole 30 breakfasts. They take around 20 minutes to make, they are easy to make ahead, and chalked full of protein, vegetables and, in this case, fruit.
Prep the Ingredients
I removed the tough skin on the ham, which is entirely optional. Then I cut it into ¼" pieces to get it evenly distributed. Cut the green leaves off the leek as well as the root, then half lengthwise and cut into ⅛" slices. Peel and core a Honeycrisp or Braeburn apple. Then cut into wedges and then ¼" slices.
Sauté the Ingredients
Heat the cooking fat, I used avocado oil, in a 10" cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks to pan and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add the apples and cook for an additional 2 minutes, followed by the ham until warmed (around 60 seconds).
Add the egg mixture you made earlier and gently stir to distribute the ingredients evenly. Reduce the heat to low and cook until edges firm, about 5 minutes.
Bake and Serve
Bake the frittata for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly (the edges should start to pull away from the sides of the pan). Cut the frittata into 8 sections and gently pull the slices out with a pie server. Serve two slices with fruit or homemade turkey sausage.
Equipment Needed for This Recipe
[su_custom_gallery source="media: 3428,3324,2687" link="custom" target="blank" width="200" height="200" title="never"]
Simple Ham, Apple and Leek Frittata
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 large eggs
- 5 egg whites (or ⅔ cup liquid egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon cooking fat (Butter, ghee, olive oil)
- 1 cup leeks (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 medium apple (peeled and diced)
- 1 cup chopped ham or prosciutto
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- HEAT COOKING FAT IN A MEDIUM OVENPROOF SKILLET over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook until tender and lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add apples and cook an additional 2 minutes, followed by the ham until warmed (around 60 seconds).
- ADD EGG MIXTURE; stir gently to distribute the ingredients evenly. Reduce the heat to low and cook until edges firm, about 6 minutes.
- BAKE AT 350°F until center is set, 10 to 12 minutes.
- SERVE. Loosen frittata from skillet, and slide onto a cutting board. Cut into 8 wedges.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values as a nutritionist. I may earn a small commission to fund my coffee drinking habit if you use these links to make a purchase. You will not be charged extra, you’ll simply keep me supplied in caffeine. It’s a win for everyone, really.
Pin For Later