Homemade taco seasoning without any added sugars or preservatives is easy to make and the perfect spice blend for any of your favorite Mexican dishes.
Do you ever go to reach in the cabinet to grab the taco seasoning for taco Tuesday and you're out? Fear not, this Mexican spice blend will have your back.
This blend goes great on my meal prep breakfast taco scramble, or on any ground meat to meal prep for any meal!
Use a clear shot of the ingredients for this recipe, prepped, and labeled if necessary. Insert the ingredients into the list below, omitting quantities.
- Garlic powder
- Chili powder. For an extra kick of heat and smokiness, use chipotle chili powder.
- Ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika. Regular paprika will work too.
- Dried onion flakes. Substitute with 2 teaspoons of onion powder.
- Cayenne. Adjust the quanity depending on how spicy you like food. Omit for not at all, add a few more sprinkles if you like the heat.
>>See the recipe below card for quantities.
Transfer the mixture to an airtight 2-ounce container for up to 1 year.
If you're after that thick sauce that store-bought taco seasoning creates. Add one tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot starch to two tablespoons of taco seasoning for every pound of meat.
Then add ¾ cup of water and simmer the mixture with the meat for about 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- COMBINE INGREDIENTS: In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients using a fork or whisk.
- STORE: Transfer the mixture to an airtight 2-ounce container for up to 1 year.