Mexican Chicken Hash is a simple Paleo and Whole30 instant pot recipe that is perfect for weeknight dinners. Shredded chicken thighs and sweet potatoes are mixed with sautéed peppers ad onions and served over veggies to make a delicious healthy meal.
How to Make Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chicken Hash
I have a love affair with my instant pot, you guys. It makes everything tender and juicy and seals in all the flavor. Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Hash is no exception! Not only is it tender and full of flavor, it's Paleo and Whole 30 friendly as well. Let's get cooking!
SOUTHWEST SEASONING BLEND
I keep this Latin seasoning blend pre-made in a small mason jar in my spice cabinet. If you want to make a big batch as well, here's a quick bonus recipe for the fajita seasoning:
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground pepper
Once you have the big batch made, you'll need 2 heaping teaspoons of the blend for the chicken.
Season the Chicken
Place the chicken in the bottom of the instant pot and use all seasoning except ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Those you'll use later for the sweet potatoes. Then add the salsa and bone broth to the pot and cover. Pressure cook on high for 20 minutes.
Prep the Veggies
While the pressure cooker does work, get the grater out. Peel and grate the 2 potatoes and then chop the pepper and onion.
After the timer goes off, manually depressurize the instant pot. Grab a slotted spoon and transfer the chicken to a bowl. Save ¼ cup of the liquid and discard the rest. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting (high if you have the option), and heat the oil for a minute or so. Once the oil is hot add the onions and peppers and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Add the garlic and stir about 60 seconds before adding the sweet potato.
Continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes until the sweet potato is tender, but not mushy. Stir in the shredded chicken and reserved liquid. Serve immediately with your favorite green veggies!
Instant Pot Paleo Mexican Chicken Hash
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (trimmed)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (divided)
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup chicken bone broth (can sub regular broth)
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (can sub any cooking fat)
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 cups sweet potato (peeled and grated (about 2 medium))
- COMBINE CHICKEN, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, cinnamon, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, salsa and chicken broth in your instant pot. Set to pressure cook on high (or manual mode) for 20 minutes. Once the timer goes off, manually release the pressure from the pot.
- REMOVE THE CHICKEN FROM THE POT using a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl or plate. Reserve around ¼ cup of the liquid and discard the rest.
- CHANGE THE INSTANT POT SETTING TO SAUTE (on high if you have the option) and heat oil for around 60 seconds. Add pepper and onion to the pot and sauté until tender. Add the garlic to the pot and stir until fragrant, about 60 seconds. Then add the sweet potato and stir to evenly distribute the onion and pepper. Sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender but not mushy.
- ADD CHICKEN AND LIQUID with the vegetable mixture and mix together. Serve immediately.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
Leave a Reply