Garlic roasted broccoli with shallots is a simple and healthy side dish for under $3. This whole30 and Paleo approved side dish is perfect for your healthy menu or meal prep this week!
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutions
- Broccoli - use fresh broccoli only for this recipe. Whether it's precut florets or about 2 crowns cut on your own, is a matter of convenience and cost. Do no use frozen broccoli.
- Shallots - shallots are a very small onion-like vegetables with a sweeter garlic flavor. If you can't find any, yellow onions work well too. Substitute about ¼ of a medium onion.
- Garlic - garlic is clutch in this recipe, but you can go with garlic powder if you're in a pinch. I would use about ½ a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Olive oil - the rich flavor of extra virgin olive oil works great here, but any cooking fat will do: ghee, coconut oil, or butter are good options.
📋 How to Make It
STEP 1: Toss the broccoli florets, sliced shallots, and chopped garlic in a bowl. Drizzle the mixture with olive oil and toss everything with two spoons or your hands to coat in olive oil.
STEP 2: Spread the broccoli mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet and then season with ½ a teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Then all that's left to do is bake them!
⏲ Cooking Time and Temperature
Roast the broccoli in a 400 degree oven for 10 - 15 minutes depending on how crisp you like your broccoli. 10 minutes will be just slightly tender, 15 minutes will be very tender.
🥣 Storage and Reheating
Store the broccoli in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the fridge.
Oven reheating: Spread leftovers on a baking sheet and reheat in a 300˚ Fahrenheit oven for 10 minutes.
Microwave reheating: in a microwave safe container reheat on high heat for 60 seconds.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Garlic roasted broccoli with shallots is a great side dish for meal prep or just planning out your healthy menu. Here are some other recipes that go great with them:
- Healthy Baked Chicken Breast
- Roasted Rosemary Potato Wedges
- Honey Sesame Por Tenderloin
- Skinny Garlic Pamesan Mashed Red Potatoes
Garlic Roasted Broccoli with Shallots
- 6 cups broccoli florets (about 2 crowns, pulled into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium shallot (peeled, quartered and sliced thin)
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- PREPARE: Preheat the oven to 400˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Adjust top oven rack to the top position.
- MIX THE BROCCOLI: In a medium bowl add the broccoli, shallots, garlic, and oil. Toss with two spoons or your hands to coat everything with the oil.
- SEASON: Spread the broccoli mixture evenly on the parchment and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- COOK: Roast the broccoli for 10-15 minutes or until the florets are tender as desired. 10 minutes will give more of an al dente texture. Serve immediately.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER