Tiny, tender sweet potato mini muffins with a crunchy pecan cinnamon streusel. These little muffins are perfect for a snack or breakfast on the go. These are also great for packed lunches for the kiddos!
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MAKING SWEET POTATO MINI MUFFINS
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Muffins are one of our favorite snack-sized breakfasts to grab and go on weekend mornings. This recipe, as with most of mine is simple, but there are always tips to hand out. So let’s talk tips, ingredients, and substitutions, serving suggestions, storage, freezing, really any questions that might come up.
TIPS FOR MAKING MINI MUFFINSCOOKING OPTIONS FOR SWEET POTATO PUREE:
- Boiling (my favorite). Peel and chop down to 1-2″ pieces and boil until fully softened. Drain and rinse in cold water. This method yields the flavor of fresh sweet potatoes and is faster than baking.
- Baking. Pierce the skin with a fork and bake at 425˚ F for 35-45 minutes or until fully softened in the center. Cut the potato in half and use a spoon to scoop the flesh out.
- Canned. You can use canned puree or drained canned cooked sweet potatoes and puree them, however, the flavor is not quite as good. But if time is on your mind, the muffins will still be delicious.
MAKE CINNAMON SWEET POTATO MUFFINS FIT YOUR DIETVEGAN: Use coconut oil rather than butter, nut milk and flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal + 3 tablespoons water) GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE: Use coconut oil rather than butter, nut milk and a gluten-free, all-purpose flour blend like this one. PALEO: Use a grain-free, all-purpose flour blend like this one, coconut oil or ghee instead of butter, nut milk, and replace all sugars with coconut sugar (or brown coconut sugar).
HOW TO STORE, FREEZE, AND THAWSTORAGE: Sweet potato muffins are super moist because of the sweet potato. The best way to store them is in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. FREEZE: These muffins freeze well for later. Once they’ve cooled, toss them in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. THAW: Pull these from the freezer and let thaw at room temperature for about 2-3 hours to thaw them.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
Cinnamon Sweet Potato Mini Muffins
What You Need
For the Topping:
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar (coconut brown sugar can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup pecans (chopped small)
For the Muffins:
- 1 pound sweet potatoes**
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup olive oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup milk or nut milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest ((optional))
How to Make It
- PREPARE: Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Grease a mini muffin pan with butter or cooking spray.
- MAKE THE STREUSEL TOPPING: In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon and pecans with your hands or a back of a fork and set aside.
- COOK THE SWEET POTATOES: Fill a medium saucepan half full with water and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and continue to cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain in a colander and rinse with cold water. Set aside and allow to cool.
- COMBINE DRY INGREDIENTS: In a bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
- PUREE THE POTATOES: Transfer the potatoes to a food processor and pulse until slightly fluffy. Set aside.
- COMBINE WET INGREDIENTS: In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, milk and orange zest and beat with a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the mashed sweet potatoes and beat on medium-low until completely blended.
- COMBINE TO COMPLETE THE BATTER MIXTURE: Slowly add the flour mixture into the sweet potato mixture until just combined. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- FILL MUFFIN TIN: Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups using a tablespoon to fill them only halfway. Sprinkle each mini muffin with 1 teaspoon of pecan streusel topping.
- BAKE until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 9 to 12 minutes. Allow the muffins to cool for about 3 minutes and remove from the muffin tin. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!