Arugula walnut pesto sauce takes all of 10 minutes to make, uses only a few fresh ingredients, and adds a ton of flavor to practically any dish. The arugula gives this sauce a peppery bite, and the lemon and walnut make it fresh and earthy.
Tips for Making Pesto Sauce
Pesto sauce is pretty easy to make! Swapping out arugula for basil and walnuts for pine nuts not only gives it a peppery flavor, it also makes it a lot more budget-friendly. Let's talk tips.
Toast the Walnuts
Take 3-5 extra minutes and toast the walnuts to enhance the flavor of the nuts in this sauce. In a dry skillet, heat the nuts over medium heat. Take care to turn every 30-60 seconds until fragrant or slightly browned (about 3-5 minutes). That's all there is to it!
Pesto Serving Suggestions
I love to add pesto sauce to some of the dishes I have over and over to change up the flavor profile a bit.
ON VEGGIES. The peppery flavor goes great with sweeter veggies such as sweet potatoes, carrots or butternut squash.
OVER EGGS. Just a half a teaspoon of the pesto on a poached egg with some ham and sautéed vegetables makes delicious green eggs and ham!
TOSSED ON PASTA. The classic sauce application still holds with this variation. Grab some gluten free pasta or make some noodles, toss with the sauce, add some shredded chicken and you have a quick dinner!
COOKED ON CHICKEN. Pesto chicken is a family favorite at my house. Coat chicken with the sauce and roast on 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. If you don't have dairy issues, when the temp reads around 155, throw on some fresh mozzarella and broil until it's brown and bubbly.
Arugula Walnut Pesto Sauce
- 1 cup Arugula, tightly packed ((.75¢))
- ¼ cup Walnuts, chopped and toasted ((.67¢))
- juice of 1 Lemon ((.33¢))
- ½ tsp sea salt ((.01¢))
- ⅛ tsp fresh Ground Pepper ((.01¢))
- 1 garlic clove, smashed ((.05¢))
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil ((.73¢))
- PROCESS: Place all ingredients except for the olive oil in a blender or food processor. Process for 30-40 seconds. With the processor still running, pour a slow and steady stream of olive oil into the opening until it's completely gone. Stop the processor and scrape down the sides if necessary, and process for an additional 30-40 seconds.
- SERVE the sauce warm or cold over noodles, eggs, veggies, on chicken, really anything is better with pesto!
- STORE in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days, or freeze in ice cubes for up to 6 months.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER