This chocolate whipped coconut cream only requires 3 ingredients and whips up in less than ten minutes. Using coconut cream rather than a dairy base makes it suitable for a treat for those who are non-dairy, low carb, paleo, or just high fat, low carb. It's also super rich and creamy, so a little goes a long way.
I love to whip this one up for after a date night. Stow it away in the fridge with some fruit and then dig in when you get home. Although my husband ditches the fruit and grabs a spoon..
Coconut Cream Vs. Heavy Cream
I like coconut cream because it's a lot less inflammatory for me personally and suits a dairy-free and ancestral (Paleo) diet. However, this recipe will work with heavy cream as well. If you go that route, I recommend a grass-fed, organic option.
As you can see from the image, both products are predominately fat-based. Both, then, are great options for ketogenic dieters, however, more and more people are finding they don't tolerate dairy well. If that is you, you'll want to stick to coconut cream.
If you're worried about a strong coconut flavor, don't worry too much. I personally don't taste a ton of coconut while it's plain. Once the cocoa is added, I don't taste it at all. It's basically a thicker version of the standard whipped cream. Take note of the calorie difference when you're deciding between the two as well, it's a pretty big jump!
Other Dessert Recipes
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Swirled Avocado Brownies
- Caramel Banana Pudding Mini Cheesecakes
- Brownie Batter Protein Bites
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Chocolate Coconut Mousse
- 1 15 oz can chilled coconut cream (can sub 1 cup heavy whipped cream)
- 1 Tbsp. Unsweetened 100% Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
- Scoop solid coconut cream into the chilled metal bowl, and discard the water at the bottom of the can.
- Begin mixing coconut cream with a stand mixer or handheld electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute, followed by another 5-7 minutes on high until peaks form.
- Add cocoa powder and honey to the bowl and scrape the sides with a spatula. Continue mixing for an additional minute.
- Serve as is, or chill for a firmer texture.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!