Bruschetta rice has tender long grain white rice is toasted in olive oil and steamed to tender perfection. Fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil are tossed into the rice to make a fresh and flavorful healthy side dish.
Making Flavorful Rice
I don't know about you, but we eat a lot of rice in our house. The whole family loves it, it's gluten free and easily digested and it's really cheap!
Plain rice can get really boring, though! So rice usually goes in a dish OR I add some veggies to make it take on a whole new flavor profile like I did here.
Classic Tomato Basil Bruschetta
There are so many delicious versions of bruschetta, but for this recipe, and in the interest of keeping it dairy free, I want to stick with a few, simple ingredients. Tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and little extra virgin olive oil are all you need.
Just toss those together in a covered container before you begin to cook the rice and all those awesome flavors will marinade together.
Toasting rice is a simple process that adds great flavor to any rice dish. Before you steam the rice, you simply sauté the dry rice grains in oil until the go from transparent to slightly opaque with golden brown edges.
I love doing this with shallots or a quarter cup of onions in the pot as well, but in the interest of keeping this "classic" bruschetta, I left out the onions this time around.
Healthy Side Dish
I hope you are inspired to add a little something extra to your rice next time you make it! Whether it's delicious tomato basil bruschetta or just toasting your rice with some shallots before you steam it. What is your favorite way to serve rice?
Serve it With
- Cast Iron Skillet Steak - Whole30 and Paleo recipe for flavorful, tender steak without the grill
- Lemon Thyme Whole Roasted Chicken - Whole30 and Paleo classic recipe
- Garlic Shallot Roasted Broccoli - simple, flavorful healthy side dish
- 2 cup tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped ((.60¢))
- 2 cloves garlic, minced ((.20¢))
- 10 fresh basil leaves, minced (($1))
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt, divided ((.01¢))
- 1 cups long grain rice ((.30¢))
- 2 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper ((.01¢))
- IN A SMALL CONTAINER, COMBINE tomatoes, garlic, basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Gently fold together, cover and refrigerate while the rice cooks.
- IN A MEDIUM SAUCE PAN, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add dry rice and stir to coat the rice in the oil. Continue to cook over medium heat until the rice becomes slightly transparent with golden edges.
- ADD WATER, REMAINING SALT AND PEPPER to the pot and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and cover. Allow to steam for 15 minutes, or until the water has been completely absorbed.
- FOLD TOMATO MIXTURE into the rice until evenly blended. Top with additional chopped basil and serve warm.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!
Leave a Reply