California Slider Bowls are a great weeknight recipe and a healthier burger alternative! This dish has got all the amazing flavors of a California Burger in a salad, so you get a ton more vitamins and minerals.
🥘 Ingredients and Substitutions
- Lean ground turkey. Ground turkey is inexpensive and low in calories, but there are plenty of alternatives. Lean ground beef or venison are both similar
- Ranch seasoning. I like to make my own and keep it around for seasoning all sorts of things (cause it's always cheaper to make your own!), but the pre-made packets work well too.
- Pickles. The acidity of pickles add a lot to these bowls. For Whole30 look for sugar-free pickles like these.
- Dairy-Free Mayo. If you aren't dairy-free, use your favorite brand. If you need a good Whole30 approved option I like Tessemaes.
- Sugar-free ketchup. Primal makes great natural ketchup, but again, if you're not looking for Whole30, use your favorite brand.
- Make it your own. Obviously, everyone has their own favorite burger toppings and condiments. You could add onions, peppers, mushrooms, cheese (if you're fortunate enough not to have a dairy intolerance), really anything you love on a burger will make this awesome!
📋 How to Make It
STEP 1: In a medium bowl, combine the ground turkey and ranch seasoning. Fold the meat and seasoning together with your hands or a wooden spoon until the mixture is evenly seasoned. Then roll the turkey into 2-ounce (about a ¼-cup) balls and flatten into slider patties and set aside on a plate.
STEP 2: Arrange the bacon slices in a large skillet. Bring the skillet to medium heat and pan-fry the bacon slices, about 3 minutes per side or until the bacon reaches your desired level of crispiness. Transfer the bacon from the pan to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
STEP 3: With the bacon drippings still in the pan, arrange the turkey patties to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Flip them and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until the center is no longer pink. Remove from the heat and allow to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
STEP 4: In a small bowl, stir together ketchup, mustard mayo, and vinegar to make the perfect hamburger salad dressing.
STEP 5: Grab a decent sized bowl, not your average cereal bowl, a large bowl. Add spinach to the bottom. Then top it with cherry tomatoes, avocado, pickles, two of the sliders and one piece of bacon, crumbled. This recipe makes 4 large salads.
🥣 Storage and Reheating
Meal prep - assemble the salads in a large container and keep the dressing separate. These will stay good in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Freezing - the patties freeze very well. Feel free to make a double batch and freeze the patties in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
🍽 Other Salad Options
- Summer Berry Salad
- Pear Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Cranberry Chicken Salad
- Crunchy Peanut Thai Chicken Salad
California Slider Bowls
- 1 pound 90-93% lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons ranch mix or 1 packet
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 cups baby spinach or arugula
- 10 ounces cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 avocados (halved and sliced)
- 1 cup pickle slices
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons dairy free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- MAKE THE BURGERS: In a medium bowl, combine turkey and seasoning packet. Fold together with hands or a wooden spoon until the mixture is evenly seasoned. Then roll the turkey into 2-ounce balls and press into slider patties and set aside.
- COOK THE BACON: Arrange the bacon slices in a large skillet. Bring the skillet to medium heat and pan fry the bacon slices, about 3 minutes per side or until the bacon reaches your desired level of crispieness. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- COOK THE SLIDERS: With the bacon drippings still in the pan, arrange the turkey patties to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Turn and cook an additional 2-4 minutes or until the center is no longer pink. Remove from the heat and allow to drain on paper towel lined plate.
- MAKE THE DRESSING: In a small bowl, stir together the ketchup, mustard mayo 1and vinegar.
- ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS: add spinach, cherry tomatoes, avocado, pickles, 2 sliders and 1 piece of bacon, crumbled to 4 large salad bowls. Our 2 tablespoons of dressing over each bowl and serve.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!
Leave a Reply