Last Updated on
Loads of chicken is slow-cooked with salsa, black beans and tons of southwest flavors to make an easy weeknight dinner. Top it all with avocado and sour cream to make the tastiest southwest chicken soup ever.
Simple Weeknight Crockpot Chicken Soup
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili is an awesome and tasty weeknight dinner recipe for busy families. It’s a set and forget recipe, so you can put your attention and time somewhere else.
Set and Forget
All you have to do is throw most of the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it on low and walk away!
When you come back, 8 hours later, pull the chicken and shred it with a couple forks. Open a can of black beans and drain them. Add the beans and shredded chicken back in the slow cooker and give it a stir. BOOM! Dinner is done.
If you want to be extra, top it with some chopped avocado, a dollop of sour cream and some minced cilantro and it’s even better.
The Best Crockpot Ever
I have two crockpots, because you can never have enough at holidays! No, not really. I actually upgraded to a digital one that has an auto-shutoff function. The slow cooker will switch to a warm setting after the allotted cook time has finished. That way you can make it in the morning, and if you don’t get home from work in 8 hours, it won’t overcook on you.
Is it Healthy?
Yes! Not only is it low in calories per serving (361 kcal), but it’s loaded with protein and fiber. Check out some of the highlights below:
PROTEIN – 38g. Lots of protein and amino acids to retain, develop and recover your muscles.
FIBER – 11g. Great for staying fuller, longer and healthy digestive function. Recommended intake is 15g per 1000 calories you consume.
POTASSIUM – 33%. Beans get a bad wrap among a lot of diet circles, and they can be inflammatory. If you aren’t intolerant to them, though, they have tons of health benefits, like potassium and our next highlight, iron!
IRON – 21%. Iron and potassium deficiencies can look pretty similar – essentially fatigue and slowed cognitive function. Ladies, we need a bit more iron especially during pregnancy and our monthly “friend”.
OTHER SLOW COOKER AND INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Crockpot Chicken and Rice Soup – perfect for cold season!
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Red Wine Gravy – a tasty classic
- Instant Pot Potato Soup – Whole30 and delicious
- Instant Pot Carnitas – Whole30, Paleo
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Chili
What You Need
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3-inch pieces (($4))
- 1 onions ((.50¢))
- 1 green bell pepper, minced (($1))
- 2 cups chicken broth (($1))
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced, fire roasted tomatoes (($3))
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) ((.10¢))
- 1 tablespoon chili powder ((.50¢))
- 1 teaspoon cumin ((.41¢))
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice ((.33¢))
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinced ((.79¢))
- 2 ripe avocados (pitted and chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup sour cream for topping (optional**)
How to Make It
- Add all ingredients except avocado and cilantro to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with 2 forks and add back to chili mixture.
- Add avocado and cilantro to the chili and serve warm.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!