There’s nothing like warm, hearty soup when there’s a chill in the air. Whole30 Instant Pot Potato Soup is made with tons of bacon, potatoes, and other veggies. It's dairy-free and still creamy since it's made with coconut milk! There's also a slow cooker variation in case you don't have an Instant Pot.
Tips for Making Creamy Potato Soup without Dairy
If you're new to the instant pot, or you just want some advice from someone who's already made this recipe, I've listed a couple quick tips to follow below. I also have instructions for how to make this in the slow cooker as well.
How to Make it the Slow Cooker Instead
This recipe can easily be made in a slow cooker, you'll just need to do a few things in another pan.
- Crisp the bacon in a medium skillet, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and leave the drippings in the pan.
- Sauté the celery, onions and garlic in the drippings in the same skillet.
- Combine the carrots, potatoes, celery and onion mixture, and the chicken broth in a slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slow cook on low for 6-8 hours. Add the coconut milk and ⅔ of the bacon to the slow cooker and mash all the ingredients together.
What Brand of Bacon is Whole30?
I like the Pederson's brand if I'm on a strict Whole30 because it's nitrate, nitrite, soy and sugar free, so there's nothing inflammatory in the seasoning process.
Make it Quick or Make it Smooth
If you prefer a smoother blend, like a lot of other potato soups, you'll want to ship out your trusty emersion blender or use an actual blender in 2 batches.
- Bacon pieces leftover from the soup
- Finely diced green onions or chives
- A drizzle of coconut milk
Freezing and Storage
I would not suggest freezing this soup. Potatoes tend to hold water when freezing, become discolored and grainy. The good news is, this soup will stay good in the fridge after making it for up to 5 days.
OTHER INSTANT POT RECIPES
- Instant Pot Carnitas Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - Whole30 and Paleo
- Instant Pot Dark Chocolate Glazed Nuts - A low sugar treat
- Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Rib - Another Whole30 sweet and saucy favortie
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Hash - a mixture of shredded chicken and sweet potatoes that's crazy delicious!
Whole30 Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 8 slices bacon, sliced into ½ pieces ( ($4.66))
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about ½ a medium onion) ( (.25¢))
- 1 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks) ( (.16¢))
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped. ( (.20¢))
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth ( ($2.00) )
- 2 pounds peeled and diced red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes ( ($2.44))
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced into ½-inch peices (2 medium carrots) ( (.50¢))
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper ( (.01¢))
- 1 (15 oz.) can full fat coconut milk ( ($1.89))
- 1 ½ Tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) ( (.27¢))
- ½ cup Chopped green onions (optional) ( (.30¢))
- CRISP THE BACON: Heat your instant pot using the Sauté setting on high. Add the chopped bacon to the pot and allow to crisp.
- Remove the bacon and set aside on a paper towel lined plate. Be sure to leave the drippings in the pot.
- SAUTE THE ONIONS AND CELERY: Add the onions and celery to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the garlic to the pot and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn off the instant pot.
- PREPARE THE SOUP TO PRESSURE COOK: Add the potatoes and carrots to the pot. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper to taste, then pour broth over the veggies.
- Lock the lid onto the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is sealed. Turn the dial to manual on high pressure and set the timer to 10 minutes and start.
- Once the timer goes off, manually release the pressure in the pot, cover the steam release loosely with a towel to prevent steam burns.
- ADD REMIANING INGREDIENTS AND MASH: In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot powder and 2 tablespoons of water. Add the arrowroot mixture and the coconut milk to the soup. Use a potato masher to crush the potatoes and veggies and thicken the mixture.
- Top the soup with green onions and bacon pieces and serve hot.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a medium skillet, crisp the bacon. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and allow to cool on a papper towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, saute the onon and celery in the bacon drippings for around 4 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the garlic for about 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Combine the onion mixture, potatoes, carrots, ½ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, and broth in a 6 qt slow cooker. Cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- In a small bowl combine arrowroot powder and 2 tablespoons water until the arrowroot disolves. Pour the arrowroot mixture and coconut milk into the slow cooker and mash with a potato masher until thickened. Top with remaining bacon and green onions.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!