Butternut squash soup is a healthy and creamy soup recipe the whole family will love! Roasted butternut squash, apples and onions are pureed with coconut milk and broth making this Paleo and Whole30.
Whole30 and Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
This recipe uses all fruits, veggies and then some bone broth or regular chicken broth and creamy coconut milk. All of these ingredients are Whole30 and Paleo approved, and if you ditch the nutmeg, it's AIP friendly as well.
Roasted Autumn Squash Blend
For me, roasting the fruits and veggies makes this paleo butternut squash soup is so much more simple. The blend of butternut squash, sweet potato, onion and apple cooks much more evenly in the oven across a sheet pan, than boiling it in the broth mixture. I've tweeted this recipe a lot over the past couple of years and this is my favorite way to do it.
Multi-task. Roasting the veggies also allows you some time to get whatever you're serving it with, like a roasted chicken, cooking because it's so much more passive than boiling and stirring and checking the softness of the veggies.
Save Time. Butternut squash is available already peeled and cubed in most product departments, and Costco has it priced the best. Buying it ready-to-roast will shave about 5 minutes off your prep time.
Other Soup Recipes Recipes
- Baked Potato and Cauliflower Soup
- Healthy Beef and Bean Chili
- Whole3o Creamy Chicken Stew
- Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 lb butternut squash (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 large sweet potato (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple (peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups Chicken Bone Broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced )
- 1 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg (AIP - replace with more cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- ½ cup Roasted pumpkin seeds (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit; Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine butternut squash, sweet potato, apple, onions, 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ tsp. fresh ground pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Evenly spread squash blend on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, bring coconut milk, broth, nutmeg, cinnamon and garlic to a simmer. Remove from heat and add roasted vegetables to the pot.
- With and emersion blender, puree the ingredients until smooth. NOTE: Merely removing all of the lumps will leave you with a grainy texture, you will need to continue to puree for an additional 5 minutes or so to achieve a creamier texture. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- OPTIONAL: Serve with 1 Tablespoon each of the pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of coconut milk.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!