Classic cranberry chicken salad is a meal prep staple. This salad is made with crisp, sweet apples, dried cranberries, pecans, celery and a quick and delicious Greek yogurt dressing. It's high in protein, low and calories and super simple to make in less than 15 minutes!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cooked chicken (leftover turkey works great too!)
- Apples (I prefer the sweeter ones like granny smith or Honeycrisp, but any apple will be fine)
- Dried cranberries
- Pecans (almonds also work very well)
- Fresh parsley
- Plain greek yogurt (nut based yogurt for dairy free)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
Use Leftover Chicken
If you already have chicken on the menu, or you're stuck with a bunch of leftovers, chicken salads are my favorite. When I roast a chicken, I like to double the recipe and chop up the leftovers for chicken salad or just to have in the freezer for when I need it.
If you're chicken isn't seasoned, you may want to add additional salt and pepper. I usually make this with chicken breasts that have been liberally seasoned with salt and pepper. If you are using roast chicken or rotisserie chicken, you may add a little more.
How to Make the Dressing
This dressing for Apple Cranberry Chicken salad is super simple. You only need 5 ingredients (two of which are salt and pepper, sooo...really 3):
- greek yogurt (I like plain 2% Fage)
- fresh lemon juice (bottled doesn't taste the same)
- dijon mustard
Simply whip those together, coat the salad ingredients, and chill.
Store this salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. I do not recommend freezing this salad. It will thaw very watery and the apples will not hold up well.
OTHER SALAD RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Apple Cranberry Chicken Salad
- 4 cups cooked chicken (about 3 breasts)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped small)
- 2 medium apples (cored, peeled and chopped)
- ⅔ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans (toasted)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (finely minced)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice ((about 1 ½ small lemons))
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- COMBINE THE SALAD INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, apples, cranberries and pecans. Toss to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- MAKE THE DRESSING: In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, slat and pepper.
- COMBINE EVERYTHING: Pour the dressing over the chicken mixture. Stir to coat the chicken completely.
- Chicken salad can be served immediately, but is best if chilled for at least an hour and up to 5 days.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.