Roasted garlic butter brussels sprouts are a quick and easy healthy side dish you have to try. Melted butter, lemon juice, and loads of garlic give brussels sprouts a delicious punch of flavor.
With only 6 ingredients needed, this recipe is pretty simple to make and requires very little babysitting. Butter is melted and simmered with garlic and lemon juice. Then fresh brussels sprouts are halved and tossed in the butter mixture, seasoned generously with salt and pepper, and roasted to perfection.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Butter - butter is easily interchanged with any cooking fat of your choice and it's still just as delicious. Olive oil, coconut oil, bacon drippings, or ghee are all just as tasty as butter.
- Garlic - if you don't have any garlic, ½ cup of diced onion, or a diced shallot are great substitutes, as well as throwing in 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if you're in a pinch.
- Lemon juice - I like the gentle acidity that the lemon juice adds, but you can certainly omit it, or use apple cider vinegar.
STEP 1: Prepare. Preheat the oven to 425˚F and adjust the oven rack just above the center position, to allow the veggies to cook evenly. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
STEP 2: Make the garlic butter. Heat a small skillet or pot over medium-low heat. Melt the butter, then add the garlic and lemon juice. Reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer the butter until it slightly thickens and becomes fragrant.
Place the sprouts in a large bowl and pour the butter over them and toss to coat. Arrange them on the baking sheet in one even layer without any of the sprouts touching.
STEP 3: Season the sprouts. Sprinkle them with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. You may want to add more once they've come out, I like to start with less and add gradually as I taste them.
STEP 4: Roast. in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Mine were perfectly al dente at 18 minutes (9 minutes per side), if you like them softer or you oven temp is different than mine, 20 minutes may work better for you.
Store these in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. To reheat a serving in the microwave, do so on high for 30-50 seconds. On the stovetop, add about 1 teaspoon of butter to a pan and sauté them until they are just warm.
Roasted Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound brussels sprouts (stems trimmed and halved)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- PREP: Preheat the oven to 425˚F and adjust the oven rack about 10 inches from the top. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- MAKE THE GARLIC BUTTER: Add the butter to a small skillet and melt over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and lemon juice and reduce the temperature to low. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens slightly and is fragrant. Remove the butter from the heat.
- SEASON THE SPROUTS: In a large bowl, add the brussels sprouts and pour the butter over them. Toss the sprouts to evenly coat them in the butter. Arrange the sprouts in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- ROAST: Roast the sprouts for 18 minutes, flipping them halfway through. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.