Quick and easy homemade chicken gravy takes just 5-minutes to make using staple ingredients from your pantry. Perfect for chicken dinners without any drippings.
How to Make Gravy in Just 5 Minutes
If you usually buy gravy packets or jarred gravy because it's just easier, I feel you. But homemade gravy is so simple, once you try this, you'll never go back! Homemade is not only tastier, it's cheaper!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Butter - Any cooking fat can be used to make a roux, so if you need this to be dairy free, go with olive oil, chicken drippings, or ghee.
- All-purpose flour - the other key ingredient in a roux is flour, unfortunately most other flours won't due for thickening.
- Chicken Broth - turkey broth, bone broth, or chicken stock works great too. If you want a richer flavor, try using homemade!
Quick and Easy Instrutions
Quick tip: gravy comes together really quickly, so it's a good idea to have all of the ingredients measured and ready to go before you turn on the stovetop.
The first thing you have to do is make a roux. A roux is a mixture of flour and cooking fat, traditionally butter, used to thicken sauces.
To make a roux, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Next sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and whisk to make a smooth mixture.
As soon as the roux comes together, pour in the broth very slowly, constantly whisking until the roux turns into a smooth liquid, then finish pouring in the broth. Let the mixture very slowly simmer, stirring every 30 seconds or so. After a mere 4 minutes, your gravy should be thickened.
Give it a taste to see just how much salt and pepper is needed. This will vary depending on your broth, which is why I haven't specified measurements.
Storage and Reheating
To store gravy, keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
The best way to reheat gravy is on the stovetop. Gravy thickens to almost a solid when you put it in the fridge. To thin it back out, pour the leftovers back into a saucepan or skillet and whisk until it loosens up. If need be add extra water or broth until it gets back to the consistency you want.
Other Sauce Recipes Recipes
- Garden Veggie Pasta Sauce
- Arugula Walnut Pesto
- Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
- Dairy-Free Chipotle Ranch Seasoning
5-Minute Chicken Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cups chicken broth
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- MAKE A ROUX: In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk the mixture until it’s smooth.
- ADD THE BROTH: Slowly pour in the broth while whisking to avoid the mixture from getting lumpy. Bring the mixture to a very low simmer and continue whisking until the gravy has thickened. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a serving dish.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER