Breakfast is a meal that I need to be easy. Spaghetti squash and spicy chorizo are the stars in this easy to meal prep, low carb breakfast recipe. This cheesy egg dish is a big hit with the whole family!
Low Carb Breakfast
Chorizo is one of the major players of this recipe. If spicy is not your jam, though, don't fret. You can easily substitute breakfast sausage with equally delicious results. I used chicken chorizo with some finely diced bell pepper and yellow onion to give this low carb breakfast casserole some awesome flavor.
How to Roast Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite winter squashes. Well...really they all are. You can buy spaghetti squash pre-made in the freezer department these days, which is a pretty cool time saver. However, I am cheap. So I trade time for money. Because roasting spaghetti squash is easy and super passive.
To roast spaghetti squash it's just a couple of steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ and microwave your squash for 3-4 minutes depending on how large it is (this will make it mush easier to cut in half without losing a finger).
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Brush both halves with a tablespoon of oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast the spaghetti squash skin side up for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender and can easily be pulled apart.
- Once the squash has cooled, use a fork to pull it apart and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you want to freeze it, you'll need to remove some of the water with cheese cloth or a tea towel and then store it in an freezer bag for up to 90 days.
Quick Layered Casserole
The assembly for this casserole is so simple, and then it's just a matter of waiting for it to bake.
After you sauté the meat and veggies, you pour that in the bottom of your 9x13 pan. Over that, you'll add the spaghetti squash, followed by a quick egg mixture and all topped with just enough cheese to make it melt beautifully golden brown. After that it bakes for around 35 minutes and breakfast is ready!
Meal Prep Breakfast
As I've mentioned, one of the great things about this recipe is that you can make it ahead, so easily! Just slice it up and put them into meal prep containers and enjoy it all week. It actually makes 8 servings, so I have enough for both my husband and I to eat for most of the week!
Other Low Carb Recipes You Might Like
- Crispy Garlic Chili Chicken
- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Carbonara
- Avocado BLT Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
Spaghetti Squash Chorizo Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound chorizo
- 1 small onion ((finely diced))
- 1 red bell pepper ((finely diced))
- 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- salt and pepper
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites ((or 4 more eggs))
- 1 cup milk ((nut milk can be used too))
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375˚ and lightly brush or rub 9x13 baking pan with oil.
- To a large skillet, add chorizo, onion and pepper and cook over medium heat until the chorizo is fully browned and no longer pink, around 8 minutes.
- Spread chorizo mixture over the bottom of the prepared pan, then layer the spaghetti squash over the top of the chorizo. Sprinkle the spaghetti squash with ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, milk, coconut flour and 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the meat and vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the eggs have fully cooked through.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
Pin Now, Cook Later!