Last Updated on
Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are marinated in a creamy (and dairy-free) garlic chili marinade that is smokey with just a little heat. After marinating all the flavor into these they are baked until golden and crispy. The perfect low carb entree!
How to Flavorful and Crispy Chicken Thighs in the Oven
As a girl who used to stick to mainly boneless and skinless everything, I have to tell you I am a convert! This is my absolute favorite way to cook bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. An you don’t even have to mess with getting your stove all greasy or fleeing the grease spatter. This recipe is 100% in the oven and the skin is still crispy!
Creamy, Dairy-Free Garlic Chili Marinade
It’s all about the marinade! There are two things that make this recipe amazing that are hard to mess us: 1) the marinade and 2) the extra crispy skin
This is an overnight marinade. I really don’t mind recipes like this, because the bulk of the work is done the night before. The less I have to think about while my son is awake, the better.
If you are dairy-free, do not fear this creamy mixture. It is made using coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk (found in a can in the Asian foods aisle). If you are NOT dairy free and/or are wanting an ingredient that’s a bit more budget-friendly, go with greek yogurt (and not the fat free kind!)
To flavor these crispy chicken thighs, you’ll use a blend of lemon juice and all the smokey, spicy seasonings to make this chicken BOMB!
Bake to Crispy Perfection
All you will need to bake these chicken thighs with an extra crispy skin is a foil-lined, heavy-duty aluminum baking sheet, and a cooling rack placed inside.
PRO TIP: You can use your standard nonstick cookie sheet if that’s all you’ve got, but with the high heat, this recipe requires, those tend to buckle after a few minutes in the oven. If you don’t have one yet – consider investing in a heavy-duty aluminum baking sheet.
The cooling rack is the ultimate key here, though. It makes it so the chicken isn’t just sitting in a pool of drippings and not getting that amazing crispy skin that we’re after, here.
Other Quick Tips
Stock Up on Chicken Thighs When They’re on Sale
These go on sale all the time, never buy them at full price. When they’re on sale, grab a bunch and make this marinade and put them into gallon freezer bags and store them away for a dinner you don’t have to think about!
You can keep the marinated chicken thighs in the freezer for up to 4 months. Just pull them out 24-48 hours before you make them and you’re just baking them!
Crispy skin is a curse and a blessing. Leftovers tend to be a little less than crispy. To get these crispy on night two, simply heat a skillet on medium-high heat with about 1 tablespoon of avocado or olive oil in it.
While the pan heats, throw the chicken in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until just warm. Then add the chicken, skin side down to the hot skillet for 1-2 minutes or until you’ve got that crispy skin again!
Leaving the skin on, while delicious, does make this a higher calorie recipe. I definitely recommend serving this next to a big pile of green veggies, whether it’s a simple spinach salad, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc. Just get something that’s on sale, that you love.
More Chicken Recipes
- Avocado BLT Chicken Salad Wraps – another Whole30, low carb option
- Honey Chipotle Baked Chicken Wings – sweet and spicy baked wings!
- Lemon Herb Whole Roasted Chicken – a classic you can’t go wrong with
- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Carbonara – a low carb version of your favorite bacon parmesan pasta!
Crispy Garlic Chili Chicken Thighs
What You Need
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt ((+ more for sprinkling))
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, (minced)
- 3-4 pounds chicken thighs, (bone-in, skin-on )
- cracked black pepper
How to Make It
- IN A LARGE, RESEALABLE PLASTIC BAG, combine the coconut cream, garlic powder, chili powder, lemon juice, oil, and ginger; knead to combine; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- DISTRIBUTE MARINATED CHICKEN THIGHS over the wire rack, skin side down so that the sides are not touching. Roast for 15 minutes or until slightly golden.
- TURN THIGHS TO BE SKIN SIDE UP and sprinkle generously with salt and cracked black pepper; continue cooking an additional 20 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165˚F.
- If you are not worried about dairy, you can substitute full fat plain greek yogurt for the coconut cream
- read the post for tips on serving, freezing and reheating leftovers!
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!