High protein, low-calorie meal prep breakfast burritos are filled with scrambled eggs and egg whites, avocado, cheddar cheese, and bacon to make eating a healthy breakfast a whole lot easier.
Make Ahead Breakfast
Getting a healthy breakfast in the morning can be tough, especially if you’re eating a high protein diet. Most pre-made breakfasts tend to be pretty heavy on the fat and carbs and not so much on protein. So I meal prep breakfast A LOT.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Eggs and Egg Whites: Each burrito will end up with about 1 egg and 2 egg whites. If you’re not eating a low-calorie diet, feel free to make it all whole eggs. Substitute the egg whites with 3 additional eggs.
- Cheese: I like cheddar cheese with my breakfast burritos, but you can really use any cheese you like.
- Avocado: After a couple of days, the flavor of the avocado will start to get stronger. If you want to serve it with guacamole on the side or have the avocado separate, that works as well.
- Center Cut Bacon: I used center cut bacon because it tends to be a little lower in calories – but any bacon, sausage, or ham will work deliciously. It will, however, change up the nutritional value.
LOW CARB TORTILLAS
The tortillas I use are La Banderita Carb Counter and are only 45 calories each. There are several other brands out there that are just as good, but these are my favorite.
Assembling meal prep breakfast burritos burritos is pretty straight forward. Simply divide all the ingredients out evenly over your 6 tortillas.
I seal up both ends when rolling them up so they’re easier to eat and wrap in foil. I fold the ends in first, then fold one side over, tuck it under the ingredients and then tightly roll them up.
If these are for meal prep, I’ll have 6 small sheets of foil waiting wrap them in to keep them tight and fresh.
Fresh Pico De Gallo
Fresh, homemade pico de gallo goes great with these burritos. All you do to make it is marinade 1 diced Roma tomato, 2 tablespoons minced onion, 1 garlic clove minced, and 2 tablespoons of minced cilantro minced in the juice of half a lime. If you want a little extra kick – add 1/2 a jalapeño, minced.QUICK TIP: Feel free to use salsa or store-bought pico de gallo if you’re in a pinch for time. Fresh pico is just easy and, well, fresher.
Breakfast burritos freeze great, BUT you’re going to wanna ditch the avocado if you’re planning on storing these in the freezer.
Place the foil wrapped burritos in a large freezer bag and keep them in the fridge for up to 3 months. Don’t even worry about thawing them, just reheat them in the fridge right away for 90 seconds.
More Breakfast Recipes
- Meal Prep Breakfast Taco Scramble – Paleo + Whole30
- Instant Pot Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Grain Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes – Paleo
- Spaghetti Squash Chorizo Breakfast Casserole – Keto
Meal Prep Mini Breakfast Burritos
What You Need
FOR THE BURRITOS
- 6 strips bacon
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- Salt and pepper
- 6 (8-inch) low carb tortillas
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large avocado (cut into strips)
- Juice of ½ a lime
FOR THE PICO DI GALLO
- 1 roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (minced)
- Juice of ½ a lime
How to Make It
- COOK THE BACON EGGS: Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon strips and cook 3 minutes per side, or until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and allow to cook on a paper towel-lined plate. Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- COOK THE EGGS: In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites until fully blended. Pour the eggs into the prepared pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Pull back the edges of the eggs as they begin to firm and continue to stir or move with a spatula until the eggs are cooked through and fluffy. Transfer to another plate line with a paper towel.*
- MAKE THE PICO DI GALLO: In a small bowl, combine all of the pico di gallo ingredients and stir. Refrigerate while assembling the burritos.
- STUFF TO BURRITOS: Lay out all 10 of the tortillas. Chop or crumble the bacon into ½-inch pieces. Arrange a small strip of bacon pieces on each tortillas, followed by the cheese and eggs and then the avocado. Brush a small amount of the lime juice over the avocado. Season each burrito with additional salt and pepper.
- FOLD AND FOIL THE BURRITOS: Fold in the ends of the tortilla and then fold over one side and roll up tight. Wrap the burritos in foil for storage and serve each burrito with 2 tablespoons of pico di gallo.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER