Roasted sweet potato home fries are diced sweet potatoes roasted with peppers and onions, seasoned to perfection, and baked in the oven. Roasting these breakfast potatoes rather than cooking them on the stovetop allows to them to cook faster and more evenly.
Roasted Versus Stovetop
I know sweet potato home fries are traditionally made in a skillet on the stovetop, however, I find that I actually prefer roasting them. Stovetop home fries are great, I make them all the time when I don’t want to wait on the oven to preheat. Let me tell you why I’ve starting roasting them more often than not.
- Throwing these on a sheet pan and letting the oven do all the work is pretty awesome. Turn them once and you’re good, no other
- In my experience, the oven cooks these little potatoes more evenly than the stovetop. babysitting required.
- The potatoes don’t stick to parchment like they do to the bottom of a skillet. So easier cleanup, yaaas!
Can You Use Other Potatoes?
Yes! Red potatoes, russet potatoes or Yukon potatoes can be substituted without having to make any other changes to the recipe and they’re just as delicious, just not as sweet.
I’m all about good food on a budget. One of my favorite things about home fries is they are crazy cheap to make – especially when you wait for sales! This recipe costs about $3.50 to make 5-6 servings.
StorageSTORAGE: Home fries will last up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. REHEATING: These reheat really well in the microwave, which makes them kinda perfect for meal prepped breakfasts if you’re looking. A quick 60 second zap on high for a single serving and you’re good to go.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake – an awesome gluten free brunch recipe
- Grain-Free Pumpkin Pancakes – delicious year round
- Breakfast Taco Scramble – Whole30 and easy to meal prep
- Apple Berry Collagen Smoothie – Whole30 on the go
Roasted Sweet Potato Home Fries
What You Need
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 ounces sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
- PREPARE: Preheat the oven to 425˚F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- SEASON THE VEGETABLES: In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, onion and bell pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle seasoning over the top. Toss the mixture to coat the potatoes evenly and distribute the peppers and onions.
- ROAST THE VEGETABLES: Spread the seasoned potatoes on the prepared baking sheet and spread out evenly. Roast for 20 minutes in the middle of the oven, turning the vegetables with a spatula half way through.
- SERVE: Once the potatoes are soft and crisp on the outside, remove from the oven and serve immediately.
**This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. See my affiliate disclaimer here.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER!